Thursday 1 August 2019

Mixed media journal cover

Hello everyone, here is my first project for our August challenge, called Texture and the lovely Miriam will be your hostess.

So I made a mixed media journal cover. A long long time ago I bought a very cheap notebook in the IKEA and lately I decided to use it for journaling. So this will be mine :-)

I like nice but practical objects, this is why I wanted this cover to stay 2 dimensional, I didn't want any protruding or standing out 3D elements. I wanted a flat, 2D surface only.


My IKEA notebook looked very silly with a green weird face on the top. I sanded the surface first then I tried to place the cutouts on the top.


For the cutouts, I used the following Sizzix, Thinlits die sets: Script, Friendship Words, Script, Holiday Words 2, Mini Detailed Butterflies.


Then I wrinkled and adhered a tissue paper to the surface with decoupage glue. When it was dry, I covered the surface with white gesso.


After drying, I coloured the cover with the following DecoArt Americana paints: White Wash, Sweet Mint, Spa Blue.


I heat embossed the cutouts with Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder.

I smeared diluted Toffee and Mississippi Mud to the surface, then I spattered the cover with diluted Burnt Umber colour.


I inked the edges with Ranger Archival ink (Potting Soil).


I glued the cutouts onto the front and the back, then I stamped and heat embossed some circles to the empty places. For this, I used again the Liquid Platinum embossing powder.

Here you can see the back:


And a close-up of the front:



Unfortunately, the photos don't do justice. Because of the metallics, it was very hard to take photos. The colour, for example, more turquoise in real life.

With my journal, I would like to join the challenge of the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog: Marvellous Metallics

I hope you like it! And if you have a project with some interesting texture, please don't hesitate to join our August challenge where you can win a £20 voucher!


12 comments:

  1. I really like this. It is simply beautiful. One question. What type of tissue paper did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely Monika, I always forget about wrinkled tissue paper, so thanks so much for the reminder. Have a fun week, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous Monika - great technique reminder too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous textures Monika! I do like those Tim Holtz words, I too have several sets and they come in handy so often! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great transformation of this really weird cover, dear Monika! Love the shiny diecuts!
    Have a wonderful weekend ahead!
    Evelyn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monika, this is a wonderful transformation of a really nasty looking cover! So sorry, but just being honest. Your background coloring is nothing short of stunning and I love all your metallic die cuts. This is so perfect for our Marvellous Metallics challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog! Thank you for sharing! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing transformation Monika - this is beautiful! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great transformation Monika ! I love the end result !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous new cover you made Monika...so pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's definitely a huge improvement! The silvery words and butterflies are lovely against the pretty duck egg blue (great combination of paint colours, I love it).
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have definitely transformed that journal cover! Love the textured surface and the way your die cuts now pop with that metallic embossing. Thank you so much for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This project is really lovely! The detail although subtle is really striking and the colors are perfectly dreamy. Thanks for Joining us at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. Crafty hugs from Ginny at Polly's Paper Studio

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!