Sunday 1 May 2016

Coffee please - Canvas with two cups of Tim Holtz

Hello All!

This month alongside our Challenge, we are also running a Blog Hop with a Sizzix Big Shot Machine & Die Bundle as the prize. To enter, you must be a Follower of our Challenge Blog and Hop along to each of our Design Team Members Blogs and leave a comment. We will still be running our normal monthly challenge and those who link their Use A Stencil projects will also be entered into our £20 voucher draw. The Winners will be picked at random in early June. So hop on over to Christine's 1st Project - Use A Stencil

Christine
Gabrielle
Jennie
Rachel
Sue
Evelyn
Doreen
Nikki
Monika - you are here
Hazel
Brenda

Corrie
Jane


For the May Challenge of the Country View Challenges - USE A STENCIL - I created a mixed media canvas in coffee theme. At the beginning of April we had travelled thousands of miles, first from Luxembourg to the eastern part of Hungary by car, then from Budapest to London and back by air, and finally from my hometown to Luxembourg by car. And during our journeys we often stopped to say: Two double espressos, please! and we really thought meanwhile: SOS!






Now I will tell you how this canvas was created.


I took a primed canvas but I still put 2 coats of gesso on the surface. When it was dry, I used a 12x12 inches (Clear Scraps) stencil to make a striped background. 






I smeared the light blue acrylic paint with a sponge onto the surface.













I extended the stripes to the sides.







With a sponge I rubbed white acrylic paint to the edges.









I stamped the coffee sack and the coffee beads from the set of Stampers Anonymous, Fresh Brewed Blueprints by Tim Holtz (CMS232).






With the StazOn cleaner and a wipe I removed the unwanted elements.







With acrylic paint I coloured the sack and the beans.








I smeared some white acrylic paint on the images to fade it.


I cut out the cups from chipboards and gessoed them. I painted with inks. The die is: Sizzix Bigz Die, Tea Time by TimHoltz (660234). The inks are: Ranger Distress Inks (Faded Jeans, Mowed Lawn), Ranger Archival Inks (Cobalt, Emerald).


Then I cut out the letters with Sizzix Sizzlits Die, Vintage Market by Tim Holtz (656623) and the number 2 with Sizzix Bigz XL Die, Vintage Market ( 658772).


I used the Kraft Core Nostalgic Collections for the letters. 







I added double sided adhesive tape on the back of the cups to attach them to the canvas.








I hope you like it! And this time don't forget to comment if you want to win a Big Shot :-)

Happy crafting to you all!!!

49 comments:

  1. Lovely canvas..it really made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to remember your travels! Lovely little scene, as a strong coffee lover I approve...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely way to create a background and I have never bought of using Stazon to remove unwanted bits! Love, Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you have achieved the stripes and great going over the edges too. Fabulous fun Monika. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great canvas....brilliant stripes and theme.I bet this reminds you of all those cups of coffee ;0) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the stripes! Looks really effective with the coffee! Think I'm going to have make myself a cup now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful bright and fun loving canvas Monika. Great idea to use the Staz On to remove unwanted stamping! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful creation Monika, would look great hanging up in any Kitchen or cafe/Restuarant

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute, fun project and now I want another cup of coffee, lol!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous canvas and such a fun idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this double espresso theme, what a beautiful technique used, such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your canvas, Monika! The hint with the stamp cleaner is great, I didn´t know it, thank you!
    xx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous work monika ... vould do with a latte!! Fabulous! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous Canvas would look great in my kitchen lol
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coffee and stencils. Love and cant live without both! Great blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a real fun canvas, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this Monika, wonderful techniques xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fabulous design Monika, I love the coffee theme and the story behind it. Great job.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous creation Monika.
    Gr, Elly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great project, sounds like a great road trip.xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. So funny - I agree completely! Coffee is a dear friend and this is such a pretty tribute! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great fun! that is a fabulous way to create a background xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely fun piece. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  24. The striped background makes me think of summer... Coffee at the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  25. mmmm coffee - I love it! What a lovely canvas!
    Jackie ")

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that canvas!!! Great design!
    Irena

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super canvas - would go well in my kitchen, another idea for my "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing! This would look great in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love those smart stripes and wonderful coffee beans... and now you've made me want a double espresso too!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful little canvas! Monika so cool and contemporary - love it x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like it better with those elements removed, too! This looks wonderful. Love the striped BG.
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely canvas. Very quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow, i didn't know i could use my stazon remover like that! fab project.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the double ExpresSOS!! I love my coffee and this is super gorgeous! The striped background is neat! And the stamp and coffee cups are fantastic! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love this fun canvas! Those streipes just melt my heart and I love the way you faded the edges using the white paint. May I ask what type of ink you stamped your images with. Quite the trick removing the excess ink with Staz On cleaner. I have a bottle of that, and never knew it removed ink like this, but Duh, I guess it would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sara, thanks for your lovely comment! I usually use Ranger Archival ink (Jet Black) to stamp on canvases or wooden boxes. But in my picture I see a StazOn Timber Brown ink pad so maybe I used that one... but I have to confess that most of the time I regret when I use StazOn because it changes the colour (gets pinkish) when contacts with other mediums.

      Delete
  36. Lovely canvas. Great design. xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. A big wow to this project!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Brilliant idea. I love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, this is awesome! I love anything coffee themed, and the blue & white stripes are divine! x

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a wonderful canvas and I really like how you've created your stripes. Great colours too :)x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fun canvas. Love the blue stripes. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love the canvas. I hope it brings back happy memories of your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!