Monday 1 February 2016

Canvas with umbrella man

The February challenge theme on the Country View Challenge blog was chosen by Sue. She wanted us to make projects with backgrounds we would like to: MAKE YOUR OWN BACKGROUND 


For this challenge I have made a canvas with Tim Holtz umbrella man. 








Lately I have seen a beautiful black and white wintry photo which was my inspiration. A very talented young Hungarian photographer, Klára Rajnai made this picture. Beautiful, isn't it?








Now here is my tutorial.

First I took a 18x24 cm canvas and although this was a pre gessoed canvas, I still put another layer of gesso.






I tried my cutouts on the canvas.






I painted the canvas grey. Actually, I tapped the grey acrylic paint with a sponge onto the canvas.









I stamped trees on the canvas with StazOn black ink.





When the stamping was not perfect I made the corrections with black acrylic paint.







After I misted my background with white acrylic paint and with a sponge. For this I used Amsterdam white paint because there are hardly any pigments in it but for this misting this is perfect :-)








Then I glued the cutouts onto the canvas. For this I used Tacky Glue Transparent Glue.






Then I mixed my Schmincke white acrylic paint with some water and with a brush I started to spritz the paint. When it was dry I put a layer of Schmincke acrylic medium to protect my canvas. And it was ready!












Don't forget, you can join this challenge to show us your lovely background! At the end of the month you can win a £20 voucher! Happy crafting!




What I used:











19 comments:

  1. See, this is what I love about Umbrella Man - he's so versatile! He looks perfect in your wintry landscape, and I loved seeing the original inspiration photo - I think you've really captured the atmosphere. Fabulous!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful inspiration Monika and how wonderfully you transferred that to your canvas. The colours, the wintry feel, the (lonely?) umbrella man. Amazing! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, love the stamps you have used, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love loveeeee this canvas Monika. It's beautiful and your umbrella man looks GREAT! Always love seeing him used in new and unique ways. Your trees just look soooo mysterious and lovely hidden in all your snow flurries. j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely and utterly fabulous!! Brilliant to see the inspiration photo and wow, I adore your wintry canvas, rain man looks superb and I LOVE your background with those beautiful trees. Love the fact how they go over the side of the canvas too. A stunning project!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is utterly brilliant Monika - perfection - I adore it xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fabulous scene emanating from your perfect background. Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Monica I love how you have been inspired by the photo. A fantastic interpretation. Hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE your canvas! Monika . Umbrella man is one of my all time faves - probably the first Th stamp and die I ever bought. You have definitely captured the essence of the photo that gave you the inspiration ( I agree its a beautiful shot). This is my kind of art! Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial and for the inspiration you have given too . x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow oh wow! I adore this, it's an absolutely gorgeous canvas and when I saw you had a tutorial for it had to pop on over to take a closer look. I will now be following, thank you for the awesome tutorial too Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing canvas, wonderful wintery feeling and the Umbrella Man was the perfect choice! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous winter scene you created on your canvas - the shadowy trees are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love winter scenes and this is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the tutorial, this is absolutely stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've long admired your stunning canvas Monika. I hope it's ok that I have linked to it on my blog today with a card that borrows heavily from your art. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an amazing canvas, Monika. I'm so happy Nicola included her link to it in her post, otherwise I might have missed this beauty! I love that photo and you have run with that inspiration! I feel as if I am walking in a wintry wonderland! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!