Thursday 14 May 2015

Mixed media canvas - Spring butterflies

With my latest mixed media canvas I would like to participate in the challenge of A Vintage Journey blog. The theme of the May challenge is: Spring Colours. And although this canvas is not vintage but I used only Tim's dies and stamp, I coloured the cut outs with distress inks and it's really spring coloured :-)








Now, with some photos, I explain how I made it.


I got a stretched and primed canvas but I put a layer of modelling paste on it. After I coloured with green (Marabu 062, 067, 075) and white acrylic paints.


When it was ready and dry I cut out some leaves with Tim's Spring Greenery from Ryher Crepla foam sheet.







Then I stuck the shape to an IKEA BASTIS lint roller.









I covered the cut out with white acrylic paint and I stamped on the canvas. I made the same process for every single pattern.














I stamped Tim's butterflies on the right corner. I made a mistake with this because I tried to stamp with an acrylic bloc but it's better to stamp on canvas with an unmounted stamp. So I stamped twice :-)








I coloured the yellow butterfly with the following Ranger Distress colours and I put some gold Marabu Glitter Liner too.

















I coloured the blue butterflies with these colours:








I coloured the flowers with these colours:



















What I used:




Sizzix Bigz Die, Bird Branch by Tim Holtz (657833) - I used only the branch (twice) but I made some modifications



Stampers Anonymous, Papillon (CMS106) - I used the butterflies

Ranger Distress inks 

Marabu Glitter Liners

Marabu acrylic paints

StazOn ink (brown)

canvas

Schmincke Acrylic Medium

Ryher Crepla foam sheet

pearls

glue














4 comments:

  1. Hi Monika!! This is such a Spring Color delight! Such a lovely canvas :) I love your colored and glittered butterflies and your wonderful branches of glittered cherry blossoms :) Thank you for joining in Astrid's Spring Color challenge at A Vintage Journey this month. XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your canvas is so beautiful Monika! I love how you made your own stamp for the leaves and the large butterfly is just stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey this month. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A stunning canvas Monika, beautifully put together and such great step by step photos too showing your process. Love all the elements you have added, it has such a fresh spring feel! Thanks so much for adding it to our latest challenge at A Vintage Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your canvas is wonderful Monika. How clever to make your own stamp for the leaves - all your elements are wonderful and have a wonderfully springlike feel. Thank your for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Spring Colours challenge this month. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!