Monday 3 July 2017

Vintage three-drawer box with butterflies

I made this three-drawer box with butterflies for our July challenge: Things with wings.



On the Pinterest I created a board with vintage butterfly illustrations. While I was gathering the images I just realised that I could do it with Tim's stamps and that they look good on my three-drawer box too. 


Here is my box before:



First I painted brown with acrylic paint. Then I sanded with a soft sandpaper. 

After I painted white with DecoArt Americana White Wash paint. I put at least three coats. After this process I sanded the edges with a rough sandpaper.


Then I stamped the images one by one using the Ranger Archival ink (Potting Soil). Normally when I stamp onto a wooden box I use clear embossing powder after stamping but my craft room was renovated in June and I had to box and pack up everything and I still can't find my heat gun.















For the stamping I used two stamp sets of the Stampers Anonymous:

Flutter (CMS294) and Bird Feather (CMS180) by Tim Holtz. From the Bird Feather I needed the Fig1, Fig2, Fig3... piece.


After stamping I coloured the butterflies with Ranger Archival inks and I applied the ink with cotton buds onto the butterflies.  And since I couldn't use embossing powder when the Potting Soil ink from the outlines reacted with other Ranger colours, it dissolved a bit, so every colour became little bit brownish.

But it was no problem for me because I wanted to make a vintage box :-)





The Ranger Archival colours I used for the butterflies (Chrome Yellow, Sky Blue, Cobalt, Cornflower Blue, Pale Ochre:



In the end I inked the edges of the whole box with Coffee.







I hope you like it! And if you have a project with some wings, please don't hesitate to join our July challenge at the Country View Challenges where you can win a £20 voucher!


6 comments:

  1. The Vintage effect is perfect on the box and the butterflies! What a beautiful box, Monika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely delightful Monika, the gorgeous butterflies and soft vintage colours are fantastic, you did a great job with it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Monika, you've done an amazing job with the colours and distressing, and the images are perfect xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fabulous make Monika. Happy accident too with the brownish tones! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo dear Monika! I love your little drawer box! It looks wonderfully vintage and the colors are perfect.
    ...........I hope, you still found your heating tool ;-)!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    xxx Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so beautiful, Monika - your vintage butterfly chest of drawers has really made me sigh with happiness. I do hope you find your heat gun some time!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!