Wednesday 1 December 2021

Steampunk Christmas tree canvas with gears by Tim Holtz

Hello everyone, December is here, so we've come to the last challenge of the year on the Country View Challenges blog. The theme this time is simple, Christmas

Let me show you my first project, a steampunk Christmas tree on canvas. 


This is not my first steampunk creation, I've already made birds, hares and a horse with gears and cogs. 

To make this project, I looked for a tree template on internet, enlarge it to a size that would look good on the canvas then I cut it out.

I then traced it twice on a thicker paper and cut them out.   

I glued the two trees together, so I had a thicker base tree. Then I painted it gold with a Schmincke paint (Rich Gold).

Then I made another tree from a 200 gsm paper and I painted this gold too.

Then I embossed this thinner tree with an old embossing folder, Gears by Tim Holtz. And I glued this on the top of the thick tree base.

Then I cut out many gears with Tim's Bigz dies from chipboard and I started to add them on the tree. I also cut out gears with the Thinlits Gearhead die set but in this case I cut each gear three times from 300 gsm paper then I glued them together.


The star was made the same way as the tree. I cut out a thicker base and another from lighter paper. The lighter was embossed and glued on the top of the base.

And now for the canvas. I took a primed canvas and glued a tissue paper on it, making small and large creases as I went. For this, I used decoupage glue and a brush.

When it was completely dry, I painted it with Rustic Wilderness Distress paint. For this, I just used a piece of kitchen sponge and I tapped the paint onto the surface.

Since Christmas tree was gold, it seemed like a good idea to give the background the pine colour.


What I used:

Sizzix Bigz L die, Industrial by Tim Holtz (661817)

Sizzix Bigz L die, Mechanical by Tim Holtz (665225)

Sizzix Bigz die, Gadget Gears by Tim Holtz (656636)

Sizzix Bigz die, Gadget Gears 2 by Tim Holtz (661193)

Sizzix Bigz die, Crescent Moon&Stars by Tim Holtz (658716)

Sizzix Thinlits die, Gearhead by Tim Holtz (661184)

Sizzix Texture Fades, Blueprint&Gears set by Tim Holtz (658580)

Ranger Distress paint (Rustic Wilderness)

Schmincke Acryl Bronze paint (Rich Gold)

etc.

So if you have a Christmas project please don't hesitate to join our December challenge where a randomly selected winner can have a £20 voucher in the Country View Crafts online shop.

With this project I would like to join the:

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Sparkle Mode

The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog: Yuletide Delights


12 comments:

  1. This is fabulous, I love a bit of steam punk, and this hits all the spots. Love it hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing project! I love seeing how it all came together, that the gold steampunk tree is gorgeous 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and Happy December! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea Monika! I'm afraid I will have to use that in a future make... I have a Bigz L die with cogs that I could use and just need to think of a shape. Have a great December. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful Monika and I've loved seeing how it came together. I have a lot of these 'ingredients' too so you've given me lots of ideas, thank you!. Take care and have a great December, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Monika. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool yule tree Monika! Merry Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the simplicity of this canvas and it was a joy seeing it come together! Love the idea of a steampunk Christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely steampunky & Christmassy card ! Have a happy December and a Merry Christmas ! Corrie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an unusual idea to make a steampunk tree! Gorgeous!
    Have a wonderful December and a Merry Christmas! Evelyn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome festive piece of art! Thank you for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun! Steampunk Christmas. Love all the texture you added. Thanks for joinng in the Funkie Junkie's Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fantastic Steampunk tree Monika! Layering up the embossing, die cuts and cogs is so effective. Thank you for joining in with our challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!