Tuesday 8 November 2022

Christmas card with Harvey by Tim Holtz

Hello everyone, although I still have gold and white Harveys  waiting for a place on a card or a tag, I decided to make a more traditional nutcracker style Harvey. Here it is.


The thing is, that I wanted to use the Music&Advert Christmas stamp set for a very long time but the gold and white Harvey just didn't fit to this background - according to my taste :-) This is why I made a red Harvey.

For the background, as I mentioned, I used the Advert stamp from the Music&Advert stamp set. I stamped on a watercolour paper with Vintage Photo Archival ink.


Then I applied diluted Antique Linen ink on the whole surface and inked the edges with Vintage Photo Distress ink.


Then I muted back with diluted white paint. I not just tapped the surface with that paint using a piece of sponge, but I also spattered the surface with the same watered paint.


Well, the background is ready. Now I will share with you some tips about Harvey. I've started to use these tricks with the gold Harvey and I used for my new Harvey as well. But I have to add here that my tricks are just additions to the Sizzix video that I also followed when I first assembled Harvey.

If you've already tried to put together a Harvey, you might realise that one part of Harvey's shoulder is deeper than the other part and you have to stick an epaulette here. I wanted to equalise this level difference. So I cut out two sets of epaulette, one from kraft paper and one from gold metallic paper. The kraft paper set were cut half and glued to the lower part. Then I could glue the gold epaulettes to an even surface.



The second thing. You might have noticed too, that the face where the moustache is to be glued is lower than the strap of the hat. I solved this problem by gluing the big white dots I cut out with the die says Face, to the back of the moustache. Here you can see the dots I was talking about.

Then here, in this picture you can see how I glued them to the moustache.

And the third trick is how I make the eyes. Some of the crafters thought I used google eyes, but no, I created the eyes. I used the small dots from the dots of the Face die-cuts. I glue them to the best position then I add a tiny drop of Nuvo Ebony Black Drops.

As you can see, I did't put from the tube directly on the eyes. Instead, I put a small amount on my working surface and with the tip of my poking tool I put an incredibly tiny dot on the eye.

So these were my Harvey tricks, I hope they were helpful for you.

 


What I used:

Sizzix Thinlits die, Harvey Colorize (666066)

Sizzix Thinlits die, Toyland Colorize (664972)

Sizzix Bigz die, Crescent Moon&Stars (658716)

Stampers Anonymous, Music&Advert (CMS358)

Idea-Ology, Paper Stash Metallic, gold and silver (TH93586)

Idea-Ology, Christmas paper pad (TH93988)

Ranger Distress inks (Vintage Photo, Antique Linen, Ground Espresso, Aged Mahogany)

Ranger Distress Archival ink (Vintage Photo)

etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments, I really appreciate it!